Search engine optimization (SEO) is one of the top concerns we hear from hotel marketers today and, similarly to the sheer amount of terms and misinformation out there about mobile optimized websites, there are a lot of buzzwords and myths about what effective SEO really is.
Search engines take into consideration three basic elements: accessibility, relevance and usability. In other words, good SEO strategy not only aligns with the search engines from an accessibility perspective, but it also aligns with the user when it comes to relevance and user experience.
Question: Are Vizlly Websites Search Engine Optimized?
Answer: Vizlly’s built-in search engine friendly features and technology are focused on all three basic elements search engines look for as it relates to on-page SEO.
The accessibility of a page or website defines the ease with which a search engine can index it and make a determination of where it fits within the grand scheme of things. They rank these based on what they “see” on-page and what they “see” off-page. Vizlly websites are built so that search engines can easily “crawl” them.
If a site is architected properly, it makes it easier for search engine bots to crawl and index the site and content. This includes:
- Flat site structure that allows for easy content expansion
- Canonical site versions – canonicalization is the practice of making a given URL only accessible from one URL so search engines don’t have to guess
- Ability to create contextual link instances within website content to link internally or externally to relevant pages
- Sitemap. Each Vizlly website has an HTML site map link placed on every page to help search engine spiders navigate through the site and locate deeper content pages. Additionally, an XML sitemap is auto-generated and located at the root domain of the website
- A robots.txt files is auto-generated for each website
Page Titles and Descriptions
Providing consistent and keyword-driven descriptions of the site and pages within the site help search engine bots clearly identify the content that is covered on each page and the overall site. Vizlly allows you to:
- Use auto-generated or custom setup for navigation and menus to better align with keyword strategy
- Use auto-generated or custom page names and titles to better align with your keyword strategy
- Add description tags at the site and page level to help bots better understand and index the content on the page and the overall site
- Optimize your page URLs with SEO best practices
- Build custom pages on specific topics that are keyword appropriate (making it easier to target your key demographics such as weddings, meetings and event planners, etc.)
- Add SEO-optimized header tags
Vizlly’s websites are built for maximum performance and are optimized for quick loading times, ensuring you don’t lose traffic or rankings because of a poor-loading site. Vizlly websites are hosted and caches on load balanced servers in Leonardo’s Ashburn data facility (the backbone of the Internet) for maximum performance. As well, the multi-media content on your Vizlly website is hosted in the cloud on Amazon S3 Cloudfront for global deployment and speed.
Relevance and Usability
Search engines like Google are looking for answers to questions that users enter into the search engine. That’s why Vizlly makes it easy to create written and visual stories on topics that travel shoppers care about and are searching for – your rooms, unique features and offers.
Using Vizlly’s rich text editor, you can build pages with the structure that search engine bots are looking for when scanning your website.
Vizlly template websites also provide the ability to include:
- SEO page titles – with the option of auto generating best practice titles
- SEO page descriptions, providing short descriptions for each page as it will display on search results
- Custom text-only pages – which can be used to optimize for specific keywords
- Multi-media galleries have built-in SEO snippets making it easier for search engine bots to index visual content for ranking
- Create text with H1 and H2 headings and internal linking (contextual linking)
Using Vizlly to build your hotel’s website will enable you to provide a content-rich and search engine bot friendly site to improve the ability for bots to crawl and index your site with an end goal of improving your search engine results page (SERP).
But on-page SEO is just the first 25% of what search algorithm like Panda are looking for. The other 75% is all about off-page SEO techniques. You also need a plan and program for what search engines are looking for off-page including:
- Quality links – When trusted, quality and respected websites create links to a company’s website, these links tell Google that credible sources find your content valuable. Look to DMOs, local area attractions, restaurants and the like to build links between your websites and cross-promote your content
- Link text – Links with keyword-rich link text can still be used but it’s important to use variations of this text that users are looking for
- Link authority – Link authority is a roughly quantified measure of whether a website is a truly trusted authority or not in a given field or area. By building content that people trust, using strategic inbound marketing, a hotel website can gradually gain strong trust authority
These are a few of the many SEO features that Vizlly websites include and some of the top FAQ we’ve heard. To learn more about what Vizlly can do, watch this two-minute overview video.