A lot of planning goes into traveling and people are increasingly turning to their mobile devices to help. By the end of 2016, Skift predicts that over half (51.8%) of online travel bookings in the US will come from mobile devices. That’s up from 43.8% in 2015 and is expected to be almost 60% next year. It’s clear that mobility is no longer a trend, it’s here to stay. Hotels that don’t have a mobile website are missing out on huge direct booking potential.
In our recent webinar, “How to Build a Mobile Website That Converts,” we looked at strategies for creating a high performing mobile website, one that engages travel shoppers and drives conversions to your booking engine. We were joined by Ahmed Youssef from Amadeus Hospitality and Anatoly Polyakov from The Heart of the Village Inn.
Some of the topics we discussed included:
- Mobile is changing the travel shopping journey, creating “micro-moments,” instances where people go onto their phone for a small task that needs to be done immediately, making them intent-rich
- A new Google study has identified 4 micro-moments in travel: I want to Get Away, Time to Make a Plan, Let’s Book It, Can’t Wait to Explore
- What happens in these micro-moments ultimately affects the travel decision making process
- In terms of travel technology, mobile is frog-leaping ahead of any other technology that’s come before it. Each year, more and more online bookings are being done on mobile.
- A “mobile-friendly website” is one that includes large text, content that adjusts to different screen sizes, adequate spacing between links and does not use Flash
- With Google’s algorithm change earlier this year, sites that are not mobile enabled stand to lose around 1/3 of their traffic
- Your website needs to tell a consistent story across desktop, mobile, tablet and other devices
- Younger travelers expect a mobile website – they research and buy on mobile devices. “You have to fish where the fishes are”
Don’t miss out on more insights on this highly relevant topic for hoteliers. Watch the full webinar on-demand here.