Webinar Wrap-Up: Visual is the New Verbal with Travelocity and Kayak
You don’t just need to know your travel shopper, you need to understand their behavior.
If we take a look at the statistics, we are visual creatures – we process visuals 60,000 faster than text, as Terry Jones, founder of Travelocity, founding Chairman of Kayak and co-founder of WayBlazer, explained at our recent webinar on visual storytelling.
Where blocks of text can trigger a thousand yawns or send shoppers to navigate to a different website, visuals can entice your shopper to want to stay and experience your visual story. As they say, “content is king” but his ever so captivating queen is visuals.
However, simply adding visuals to your story may not be as easy as it sounds and can come with its own set of challenges.
As with every webinar, we conducted a poll asking our audience what their biggest challenge is with visual storytelling and the results were as follows:
- Knowing what type of content travelers want to see – 35%
- Keeping content updated and fresh – 32%
- How to stand out on social media with visual storytelling – 30%
- I don’t know how to create my story – 3%
If you couldn’t attend, here’s a recap of some of the important points that Terry Jones and Emily Drennen (Marketing Specialist at DoubleTree Resort by Hilton Lancaster) shared:
- Visual is the new verbal: We process visuals faster than text and the web has shifted from a text-heavy platform to a visual-first platform
- Consumers (and Millennials in particular) prefer to shop visually
- DoubleTree Lancaster switched to an image-driven website in December 2014 and since then, have tripled the number of inbound booking requests
- People don’t buy on price alone, they buy on value. Visuals help show you that value which is why the DoubleTree experienced such growth
There’s more! If you couldn’t attend, please view the slides from the presentation and recording here.